Friday 1 April 2016

Back in the Saddle

I'm sorry it's been so long since I last posted. I hadn't intended to be away for so long, so I really appreciate everyone's patience. Hopefully, I can get back to regular posts now.

To jump back into the saddle (so to speak) I'd like to introduce you to some of my latest boys and girls.

 This is Kendal Valley Dawn, or Kendal for short. She's one of the new individual Stablemates for 2015, and aside from the fact that she's a glorious chestnut mare, I was attracted to her because she reminds me of a Hackney Horse. A very old and rare British breed, Hackneys are prized for their stamina and naturally high-stepping trot. I'm holding out hope that Copperfox Model Horses will eventually produce a Hackney model (without a docked tail, please!!!), but for now I'll just have to make do with this lovely girl. (Ok, Ok, I know the ribbons, high set tail and short-ish body don't quite fit the Hackney breed standards, but this is all I've got right now)
 Interestingly, it was only when I'd bought her that I realised Kendal is virtually identical to a Stablemate foal I have from the Stablemates 5 Piece Fun Foals Gift Collection, so it was only natural to pair them up as mother and daughter :)
 Speaking of foals, I just couldn't resist getting these 2 Classic lovelies. Sold together as the Colorful Foals giftset, the flaxen chestnut Warmblood Foal is a filly, and the stunning bay tobiano Haflinger Foal is a gelded colt. If their colours had been the other way round the colt would have been an ideal baby for Gypsy, my Classic Haflinger mare, but then I don't think I would have been as drawn to him as I am.
 The filly is lovely. I really like this mould, and her shading is superb. I've given her my buckskin roan mare, Mothwing, as a mother, more through availability than anything else, so I've named the foal Tawny Moth, or Tawny for short.
The colt is just stunning. I love the combination of dark bay coat with minimal tobiano white markings, and again he has brilliant shading. As of this post he doesn't have parents in my herd, but I'm beginning to think the new 2016 Horse of the Year Harper could make a nice mother for him... (with an unknown pony/cob father, considering his conformation). As for names, I like to link a foal's name to it's parents, so for now he's just known as Tobiano, or Tobi for short.
And last but not least, another foal joins my herd, this time in the Traditional Stable. She's from the 2008 Mare and Foal Color Crazy Treasure Hunt Event, and originally came with a dapple grey National Show Horse mother. Since I got this filly second hand she didn't come with her original dam unfortunately, so I've paired her up instead with one of my Morgan Marabella mares.
For now, the filly is going by the name 'Flame', but I'm not sure it really suits her. I'm also not satisfied with her mother's name, so eventually I'll have to get around to choosing something more fitting for both of them. At least baby has a mama again, though I'm not really sure which of my stallions to assign as her father.

That's all for now. I've got plenty of topics lined up for up-coming posts, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the next one :)

3 comments:

  1. Nice lot! I especially like Flame and Kendal (I have an unintentional conga on that mold) but Tobi and Tawny are really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have you back! :D

    Kendal and her foal match so perfectly, that's pretty neat. I love Tobi and Flame, too - such cute wee things! Makes me wish Breyer would make another draught or pony foal. A little fluffy Shetland would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      Ooh, that would be really adorable!

      Delete